Health Savings Account Rules and Advantages
This program will detail for the CPA the options provided by Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) and the related High Deductible Health Plans (HDHPs). Possible benefits include a reduction of health insurance premiums, a tax deduction for contributions, and a potential for long-term tax-free gain. The proliferation of the HDHP/HSA model has created client demand for general HSA information as well as techniques for capitalizing on the special financial advantages available. This class will prepare the participant to address these client needs.
The participant will learn key concepts and rules associated with Health Savings Accounts, and the short and long term investment strategies associated with them.
- HSA rules.
- Scenarios for business owners who wish to implement HSAs as part of a benefits package.
- How to self-direct HSAs.
- Comparison to HRAs.
- Tax implications of HDHP/HSA model.
- Cost savings realized by HDHPs.
- Case studies.
- Examples of investments.
- Tax form preparation for different scenarios.
- Tax-free growth of account.
- Updates for HSAs caused by health care reform.
No advance preparation required
Level of Knowledge
Group Internet Based
NASBA Field of Study